Has anyone been to see this collection at Chiddingstone Castle near Edenbridge, Kent – in particular the Stuart / Jacobite collection?
“The Curator, together with volunteers, are currently working on a project to catalogue the collection of Royal Stuart documents. These include letters from and to Stuart kings, state papers, and letters and other documents relating to the Jacobites, Bonnie Prince Charlie and the 1745 uprising.”
Hill Hoath Road
Kent TN8 7AD,
+44 (0)1892 870347
This is from The Glasgow Herald – Nov 24, 1951
Jacobites in Mayfair
It has been vastly illuminating to journey Mayfair-wards this afternoon, there to seek out one who has, over the past 20 years or so, assembled such an immense variety of relics of the Royal House of Stuart as must, I imagine, cause him to be the envy of every other antiquarian in the country; in fact the flat which this indefatigable collector, Mr Denys E. Bower, at present occupies is as much a repository of history as a dwelling-place. One spacious room, for instance, is hung from roof to floor with paintings of the Stuarts—outstanding among these being a portrait of Charles II, by Hanneman, which formerly belonged to the Duchess of Kent—and another room is given over to literary and epistolary treasures, while in a third Mr Bower has stored other manuscripts, besides what might be termed the smaller currency of the centuries in the form of miniatures and, nick-nacks. Many of these are extremely rare, and some have been shown at loan exhibitions in Edinburgh during the past three years, perhaps the most notable among them being the last letter which Prince Charles Edward wrote to James III on “ye 2d July, 1745” before leaving France for Scotland.
Though Mr Bower is the managing director of a London firm of antique dealers, his Stuart collection is a separate and private interest in furtherance of which he recently bought, at a public auction, two gold cuff links which were described in a catalogue note as having been given by Prince Charles Edward to Flora Macdonald in 1746. “These gold cuff links,” the note went on, “were previously sold in these rooms on May 15, 1930, as the property of William Smith of Roslin. The links were given to his grandmother as a girl by John Roy Stuart, one of the Prince’s generals, to whom they were given by the Prince.” Mr Bower points out, however, that this last sentence is in error and that the items involved in the 1930 sales were the silver shoe buckles that were worn, by the Prince at Culloden. Subsequently these were given to the Duchess of Hamilton to sell at a bazaar, where they brought £25. Since then Mr Bower has lost all trace of them, and he wonders whether any reader of “The Glasgow Herald “can provide some clues to their whereabouts; likewise he would welcome any information about the newly acquired cuff links. In particular he is anxious to discover why the links should be mounted on a Victorian visiting card which bears on one side the printed name, Miss Robertson, and on the other, the written inscription: “Given by Prince Charles Edward to Flora Macdonald during his flight, a.d. 1746. C. Grainger.”